I recently had the pleasure of attending a fab makeup masterclass by well-known Irish makeup artist, blogger and model – Tara O’Farrell in the Radisson Blu in Galway. I was so excited to attend this as I follow Tara on Snapchat and I absolutely love love love her style and all her tips on beauty, makeup and shopping (love her Penney’s, Dealz and H&M hauls!) so I knew this class would be brill. And I definitely wasn’t disappointed.
She went through two looks in great detail – both of which are quite easy to recreate. I especially loved the way she went through all the products she was using – step by step – which gave us all a chance to take notes, pictures and ask questions. I certainly took lots of notes and she gave a great insight into the products and tools she likes to use and buy.
The first look was a very wearable look for both daytime and night-time encompassing a soft bronzed smokey-eye.
She used products from:
- The Balm including the ‘Meet Matt(e) Nude Eyeshadow palette – which I have just purchased and is such a must-have palette and their Maryluminizer Highlighter which I have and is AMAZEBALLS.
- Blank Canvas Brushes – which I also love and so happy I got to see them in action and know which ones I need to have in my makeup bag.
- Bourjois – their felt-tip eyeliner – always a winner and their Chocolate Bronzer (which smells divine and you will want to eat it)
- Penney’s individual lashes – no need to explain how fab these are and the P.S. I Love You lip liner – No. 6 which is very similar to Mac Spice pencil – any excuse to go to Penney’s really!
- NYX – The Wonder Pencil (essential item for the waterline which I had already and glad to know it’s such a must-have) and their Liquid Illuminator – Sunbeam.
- Charlotte Tilbury – similar to the NYX Wonder Pencil – their nude pencil – Eye Cheat.
- Stila – One Step Correct Primer – which Tara religiously uses – again if you follow her on Snapchat you will see.
- Inglot HD foundation – which I am soooo buying and their waterproof eyebrow gel.
- Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer in Ivory for contouring – this was amazing and also their brow-gel which Tara raved about.
- Laura Mercier Translucent Powder which is a firm favourite of Tara’s – anyone who follows her on Snapchat will know this – I also have it and I agree – its one of the most amazing, lightest translucent powders on the market right now.
- Catrice – another great budget buy – the ‘To Be Continued’ lip gloss which is a gorgeous nude.
The second look was more of a night-time look for Christmas or any occasion really as she used a fab cranberry selection of colours to create a cranberry smokey-eye which looks awesome on anyone with blue or green eyes – this is one I will DEFINITELY be trying out!
For this look she used a couple of the same products and tools with the addition of:
- Similar to the matte brown colour in The Balm Meet Matt(e) Nude palette – she recommended using Dodo from the Pippa Palette which most of us girls in Ireland now own!
- Inglot Cranberry Shade eyeshadow – No. 450 (which I will also be purchasing)
- Bourjois – Java Rice-Powder translucent powder which is supposed to be amazing and another must-have item.
- NYX – setting spray – long lasting matte finish spray.
- Rimmel – nude lip liner in ‘East End Snob’
The class itself was quite limited in numbers which was great, because it meant you could really get up close and personal with the looks on the models – you could see for example how Tara created the ‘eyeliner flick’ which us girls all know too-well how stressful it can be. Her personality really shines through in this class with her cute and funny make-up stories and you can’t but warm to her lovely smile and calming voice.
She also had the best makeup tips and tricks and most importantly I just loved how honest she was about everything – so I’ll share a couple of those with you:
- Ok so I loved this one – I’m forever on the hunt for the best mascara – tip from Tara – don’t bother with all the expensive mascara’s on the market – they only last for 2 months anyway and need to be thrown out – so look for a good budget buy one and stick to that – save you a fortune in the long run. Tara used the Bourjois Volume 1 second mascara which I also find amazing.
- Always do your eyes first – which completely makes sense as you can clean up your face afterwards from all the ‘fall-out’ of the eye products – I must remember this from now on!
- She gave us a lovely little 15% discount code from an online pharmacy where we can get most of the products she uses – which is great
- Ok I need to talk about the controversial ‘flick’ – probably one of the most stressful times during make-up application and can actually ruin your night out if not done properly. Tara’s tip – go from the bottom lash line up and create an empty triangle instead of and as Tara put it ‘ having a stab in the dark’ ha, ha! So its all about ‘underneath-up’.
- Essential and most important makeup item to have in your makeup bag – a nude eyeliner pencil. This can completely transform your eyes, and if you’re like me, a mum of two and seriously sleep-deprived – this can instantly make you look awake and wide-eyed.
- Tara really emphasises the ‘dewy look’ when it comes to makeup application so recommends applying and buffing some highlighter all over your skin before applying foundation.
- When setting your base over your foundation – press or pat the powder on gently instead of rigorously buffing it.
- For contouring – create the shape of a ‘3’ when shading on both sides of your face.
- For highlighting – create the shape of a ‘c’ from the forehead to under the eye.
The Goody Bag
We also got to take home a fab little goody bag which you can see the contents above and which includes:
- Pureology Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Blank Canvas F04 Makeup Brush.
- Water Wipes cleansing wipes – which are fab for removing makeup and I use them on my little 2 month old baby boy.
- Rimmel Scandal Eyes Eyeshadow Stick/crayon in’Bad Girl Bronze’.
- Wet ‘n’ Wild Lipstick in Hot Red.
- Flormar Nail Polish in Khaki Green.
- A little bag of sweets – lovely little touch.
So all in all it was a lovely day and one which I would highly recommend if you are interested in or love makeup and beauty products or already a makeup artist and want to learn more. It would also be a fab ‘girly weekend get-away’ with a group of friends as Tara has already announced more dates and venues around the country for next year. She also has vouchers available to buy for her Masterclass to give as presents so again this would make an awesome Christmas present for someone you know that loves makeup and all things beauty and skincare related.